In 1907, a German company known as Dampf-Kraft-Wagen, or DKW, started by producing engines for bicycles. In the 1920s, DKW began producing 2-stroke engines for motorcycles. In time, their designs went on to dominate all forms of motorcycle racing from 1922 to 1936, winning 45 championships during that time. In 1956, DKW changed its name to Motorradwerk Zschopau, or MZ. Because of wartime conditions, MZ continued to produce engines and bikes in East Germany, though it was purchased by Hong Leong Group out of Malaysia, who later introduced the world to the 2005 MZ Baghira.