Before we left the salt flats on Friday we pulled the fairing and tail off the Lightning prototype. I was having high-speed stability issues we thought might have been related to aerodynamics. Removing the bodywork and running naked removed the aero variable, and would tell is if the changes we made to the chassis were moving us in the right direction.
By the time I reached the first mile marker on Saturday morning I knew our stability issues were solved. The bike tracked dead-nuts straight, even through the loamy mess at the two-mile mark where the big cars had torn up the salt. Finally confident, I wound the throttle to the stop and whirred up to 151 mph before the motor unceremoniously shut down, 100 yards shy of the three-mile timing light. I coasted through the trap at 148 mph then rolled over to the return road to wait for the chase truck. We lugged the bike back to the starting line, where a quick diagnostic scan pointed toward a safety override on the digital controller that faulted and shut power down.