Marc Marquez topped both dry practice and wet qualifying on Saturday to earn his 68th career Grand Prix pole position and eighth successively across three classes at the Sachsenring.
Free Practice 3, like FP1 and 2 on Friday, was extended from 45 to 55 minutes to give MotoGP riders more experience on the recently resurfaced, 13-turn, 2.28-mile German track.
Marquez got within 0.409 seconds of his own lap record in FP3 with a best-of-session 1:20.745. Maverick Vinales was the only other rider to bust through the 1:21 barrier.
German GP Qualifying Results
1. Marc MARQUEZ (93), Repsol Honda Team HONDA
2. Danilo PETRUCCI (9) OCTO Pramac Racing DUCATI
3. Dani PEDROSA (26) Repsol Honda Team HONDA
4. Cal CRUTCHLOW (35) LCR Honda HONDA
5. Jonas FOLGER (94) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 YAMAHA
6. Jorge LORENZO (99) Ducati Team DUCATI
7. Pol ESPARGARO (44) Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM
8. Aleix ESPARGARO (41) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini APRILIA
9. Valentino ROSSI (46) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP YAMAHA
10. Andrea DOVIZIOSO (4) Ducati Team DUCATI
11. Maverick VIÑALES (25) Movistar Yamaha MotoGP YAMAHA
12. Alvaro BAUTISTA (19) Pull&Bear Aspar Team DUCATI
13. Jack MILLER (43) Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS HONDA
14. Loris BAZ (76) Reale Avintia Racing DUCATI
15. Bradley SMITH (38) Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM
16. Andrea IANNONE (29) Team Suzuki Ecstar SUZUKI
17. Mika KALIO (36) Red Bull KTM Factory Racing KTM
18. Hector BARBERA (8) Reale Avintia Racing DUCATI
19. Johann ZARCO (5) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 YAMAHA
20. Karel ABRAHAM (17) Pull&Bear Aspar Team DUCATI
21. Sam LOWES (22) Aprilia Racing Team Gresini APRILIA
22. Alex RINS (42) Team Suzuki Ecstar SUZUKI
23. Scott REDDING (45) Octo Pramac Racing DUCATI
24. Tito RABAT (53) Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS HONDA
Focusing on race pace in FP4, Marquez posted nine consecutive laps in the high 1:21s and mid 1:22s, his final five varying by no more than just 0.111 seconds.