Henderson Breaks 100-Mile Stock Record At Muroc, Averaging 94.56 M.p.h.

By J.J. O’Connor

From the November 1928 issue of Motorcyclist magazine.

Muroc dry lake, Cal., Nov. 10. Even though there are to be no Armistice Day races on the Dry Lake, for reasons set forth elsewhere, this famous desert speed ring breaks into print just the same, in big league style, at least once more before the 1928 calendar comes off the wall.

Today marks the second biggest event in Muroc motorcycle history, for C.A. “Dutch” Cameron: of San Francisco, rode a Henderson 100 miles in 63 minutes, 27 seconds, under WFM sanction and supervision. This is a record for the Muroc course, admittedly the fastest in the West, and, so far as known, an American record for machines with stock engines.

Cameron averaged 94.56 miles an hour in a non-stop run. The previous 100-mile record for Muroc was one hour, ten minutes, made by Tex Bryant on a Harley, in the 250 mile solo race here last April. Bryant’s time was made in competition, however, while Cameron rode alone, against time.

We will bring you back to A.F. Van Order’s taking out of a sanction for a 100- mile open for four cylinder motors to be held here, Sunday, 11th. That race blew up, or rather the entries did.

But Earl Roylance, San Francisco Henderson dealer, had a fast job all ready to go for the Van Order race and he came down last Tuesday to do some training. Along came Cameron and Carl Zuher, another Henderson rider.

Roylance camped here for three days and tried out gears, plugs, carburetion, fuel and what not. Finally everything was right and he was ready for the world. Along came Friday afternoon and pretty accurate information from “Bill” Kemp to the effect that entries for the Van Order race had been blocked by rival dealers and that there was no race in sight.

Not exactly happy news to a crew of men who had come over 400 miles to race and felt that they had a winner. Must they go home empty handed? Now a sanction had been issued to Roylance for a 100-mile sidecar record trial to follow the Van Order race if the machine was right after the race. So heads got together and the WFM was asked if it would change that sanction from a sidecar trial to a solo trial and would it handle a solo trial Saturday. It would.

Here’s where the fun begins. Saturday morning J.J. O’Connor, Al Flood and Terry McGeevy went to Muroc to handle the trial for the WFM. Flood is with Valvoline Oil Co., and McGeevy is with the Auto Club of Southern California.

They found Messrs. Roylance, Kemp, Cameron and Zuher camped on the lake at the finish stakes of the big races of last Spring. They said they were all ready to go.

So the course first was checked and found to be 5 and 1/20 miles to the lap. Some of the stakes had been snapped off by whoopee autoists racing around the course, but most of them were in place. Zuher went around salvaging stakes and erecting them to replace the broken ones.

The machine to be used was an out-and-out speed job, stripped to the waist. It had been towed down from San Francisco, drawbar coupled to a service van, loaded with fuel, tools, parts, etc.

Cameron donned his leathers and went around for a warm up. In to the pits and a few adjustments. Then out again for another warm up. Now he comes cutting across the course, coasting to the pits. Apparently everything was already to shoot. He releases the button to give her a final kick, about 200 feet from the pits and, just as the motor fired a round of barrels, there was a mean clank! clank! So, on went the button frantically and the firing ceased while Cameron slowed down, but the damage had been done.

By J.J. O’Connor
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!

*Please enter your username

*Please enter your password

*Please enter your comments
Not Registered?Signup Here
(1024 character limit)
  • Motorcyclist Online