L.A.M.C. “Beefsteak Run” Brings Back The Good Old Days

By P.a. Bigsby

From the February 1928 issue of Motorcyclist magazine

Los Angeles, Feb. 10. –“To rain or not to rain,” seemed to be the much discussed question on the eve of the second annual “T-Bone Steak run” of the L.A.M.C. to Fillmore, last Sunday, Feb. 5.

Arrangements already had been made and the Santa Barbara riders had intended to be there, too, but through a misunderstanding they were not present.

As it happened, the day was perfect-a real California day-with lots of sunshine and warm, fresh air.

Add to this, 45 or 50 congenial sickle riders, out for a good time and you have an idea of the crowd and conditions as the happy bunch left the club house at 9 a.m.

At Saugus, they were met by the Pasadena boys and girls, and at Fillmore, the entire crowd was welcomed by Chief of Police Earl Hume, and the friendliest traffic officer we know.

J.J. O’Connor, of the W.F.M., also was there with the T-bone steaks-70 of ‘em, and “J.J.” carted the food and utensils up to the camp in Sespe Canyon, where the barbecue was held.

“Biggy” Rice had the rear end of his “Chevvy” also filled with eats, and his single strapped on, too.

Last year the four miles of dirt road leading into the canyon was very dusty. This year it rained all the day before the run. Figure it out.

The first hundred yards of mud saw five of the boys either down or going down and, from there, all the way to camp, there were many more “first downs,” not to mention a couple of “seconds” and “thirds.”

Arriving at the camp, the girls proceeded with the preparation of the feast, while the boys sat around and wished they would hurry.

Mrs. J.J. O’Connor barbecued the steaks ably assisted by Miss Selma Cash. These steaks, combined with any number of other good things to eat-all the way down to olives and cakes-made one of the most enjoyable feasts we have ever had.

Harry Pelton was the champion eater of the day, with “ye scribe” a close second.

After the tables had been cleaned, we adjourned to the Fillmore ball park for the sports program.

Many more sicklers had arrived by this time and there were nearly 100 machines lined around the baseball diamond when the fun began.

The first event-a “dig-out” race-was run in two heats, with four entries in each frame. The first heat was won by Tom Jones, of Pasadena. Glen Jones, his brother, took the second heat. One rode a high compression 61, the other a grown up 74. The g.u. 74 took the final by a nose.

“Let brotherly love continue.”

The prize for this event was a Kay Bee spotlight., donated by the W.F.M.

The next event was a slow race, with entries lined clear across the ball park-must have been 25 in all.

Roy Pelton proved to be the most adept at clutch slipping and balancing, although he was only a foot behind Glen Jones, who proved that he could go slow as well as fast.

Roy Pelton took home a gallon of Veedol, awarded by the Veedol Oil Co., as first prize in this event.

Something a little bit new in the line of sports came next. The idea, of course, was not new, but the application was decidedly original as well as interesting.

All of the contestants lined up at one end of the park-with caps on. Ye scribe stationed himself at the other end of the park in a patch of wet, green grass, waiting for the riders to come and give him their caps-turn around and race back to the start again and around John O’Connor, who acted as a marker or pylon as the aviators say-preferably without running over him. Then, they were to return to ye scribe and regain possession of their caps. First man wins. Now, you’ve got the idea.

By P.a. Bigsby
Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!

*Please enter your username

*Please enter your password

*Please enter your comments
Not Registered?Signup Here
(1024 character limit)
  • Motorcyclist Online