With our streamlined tanks and fenders the most of us are willing to concede that our present-day American motorcycles are about the last word in clean design. But Raymond Courtney of Lansing, Michigan, thought otherwise, and unlike the most of us who vision great things but seldom put them into effect, he immediately went to work on the ideal of his dreams and nine months later one of the world’s most perfectly streamlined motorcycles was running around the streets of Michigan’s capitol while the population inspected it with keen admiration.
This latest in streamlined motorcycles shown in the accompanying photographs, is powered with a Henderson motor of stock design, and cost the inventor $400 for materials alone. It is equipped with hydraulic brakes on both wheels, and the small wheels are shod with 6:50 by 10-inch airplane tires; giving the machine an extremely low center of gravity.
The rear wheel is hydraulic, full-floating; making it one of the smoothest-riding machines ever built. In fact those who have ridden it claim that the roughest of surfaces are entirely unfelt in the rather unusual, sheep-skin covered seat. It is equipped with double stop lights, and the wheel louvres connected to each side of the body, both front and rear, are so constructed that they can be used for carrying luggage, while sections of the body covering the motor and transmission are easily removed when necessary.
Mr. Courtney who is an experimental metal worker in the Oldsmobile Motor Works, has been a motorcycle rider since 1913, and the excellent streamlining on his new machine has not only put the two-wheeler in the class of the elite, but it has also increased the road speed 20 M.P.H., with the total weight being but slightly more than the average big-twin.